My Service:
I create birthday cakes, at no charge, for needy children/teens in San Diego.

My Story:
Not long ago, I read about an organization that bakes cakes for needy children. I loved the idea of such a service, and after some extensive research, I was surprised to discover that no such organization exists in San Diego. I thought ‘Why not bring this type of service to San Diego? After all, every child deserves that individual recognition on such a special day and what better way for me to give back to the community when I love baking?”


I especially love baking cakes and creating fun and imaginative decorating themes and designs for the cake. My two sons, ages 6 and 7, enjoy being a part of the collaborative, creative process (and devouring what remains from the utensils, bowls… need I say more?) and my husband delights in tasting our creations!

After working as a speech pathologist in the Sweetwater Union School district, I decided to try my hand at baking cakes. I received my Food Handler’s Certificate from the San Diego County Department of Environmental Health and I have worked in various bed and breakfasts creating pastries and desserts alongside professional chefs.

Although my cakes may not be as elaborate as those you may see in bakery windows, they are created with love and care and are delicious!



How Can You Help?:

Ask your neighbors, friends and coworkers if they know of any family or child that may benefit from this free service.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Testimonials

1. The Transitional Housing and Trolley Trestle programs of South Bay Community Services have been receiving amazing birthday cake creations from Molly since June 2011. Our program provides supportive housing to homeless and former foster youth, ages 18-24. In addition to housing, our services include employment and education support, career guidance, independent living skills, therapy, and crisis management. Many of our youth do not have family and friends with whom to celebrate their birthdays or special events. The simple gift of a beautiful cake individualized with their names, favorite flavor, and a special theme has truly been meaningful. The residents in our program now start to look forward to their birthdays just because they know they will get a special cake! Molly’s creative cakes send the message that someone truly cares about them as a unique individual. Just today we received a cake adorned with a three-dimensional D.J. with headphones, complete with an individualized tag, for one of our residents who is into music. It gave a reason for all of the staff to get up from our desks and gather around to sing him, “Happy Birthday”, which is something we didn’t do before Molly started making cakes for us. Thank you, Molly, for helping us make our residents’ birthdays so special!



2. Michelle, Project Manager from San Diego Youth Services:
"On Monday we had the pleasure of dropping off a birthday cake to a youth staying in a shelter. He does not have family near and has never had a birthday cake. He stated, with eyes filled with tears, "You have no idea how much this means to me." Thank you Molly and sons for making this special young man's birthday a truly remarkable day."

3. Amber from Spring Valley, CA: "The Center for Positive Changes has been using Molly for our clients birthday cakes. Our clients have loved her cakes and have been very appreciative of her time and energy in making their birthdays special. Molly has really spent time on personalizing each kids cake and making it special for them. The cakes are delicious and the boys love the taste."

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Michelle! It was my pleasure.

    Michelle is a wonderful program manager for San Diego Youth services.

    ReplyDelete